8 November 2007
These wide-legged pants have always been a little too short in the leg and the crotch. I put up with this till they stopped fitting me round the hips, and then they languished in the cupboard waiting for dramatic weight loss that never happened and the crotch-lengthening fairy who never came.
On Sunday night I had an inspiration:
- unpick the inner leg seams (5 minutes)
- sew the front and back together ( 5 minutes)
- chop off length and trim seams (1 minute)
- fiddle with hem to get the length right (30 minutes, because it’s amazing how an extra half inch of hem translate to legs that look a half kilo slimmer)
- make a slit in the back (10 minutes), and ta-da!
:: a new skirt!
The pants bequeathed all those nice details that can be hell to sew, like pockets and a fly and belt loops. I wore it to work twice this week – I should have done this years ago.
I did a little tutorial on this project, which you can find by clicking on ‘patterns’ above.