23 May 2010
There have been a lot of bumps on the way to the end of this project. Some were ‘life bumps’, which I won’t write about here (because the kindness and sympathy of friends is hard enough to bear, the kindness and sympathy of strangers is even harder).
Some were ‘motivation bumps’ (perhaps dips or valleys would be a better description). Some were completely unexpected bumps – like an unexplained sprain to my wrist when I was trying to finish this project as an entry in the Canberra Show. And the bumps you see on the garment – those were the worst of all, the slowest and most frustrating stitch I’ve ever encountered.
But now it’s finished. And I am so pleased with it.
I think this is the best job I have ever done on a knitted object. Much of the pleasure in this project for me came from little details. A new cast-on that I learnt from Kelly‘s mum, that gave a beautiful clean edge to the ribbing. Finally mastering mattress stitch to the point where the seams are completely invisible. Learning to pick up stitches neatly and cleanly, so that the button band sits perfectly. Getting the button placement just right.
The minute I put it on, it felt warm and cosy and snug and right. The only fault I can find is that it’s just a touch short in the body – the waist sits a bit above my actual waist.
Pattern: Surface, by Norah Gaughan for Knitty.
Yarn: Jo Sharp Classic DK, in Ink.
Buttons: From the button jar. I think these were bought to replace buttons on my school blazer when I was about 13.