28 August 2010
A little something I finished in late July. The colours remind me of the floor of a eucalypt forest on a wet day.
:: Yarn :: Noro Iro and New Lanark DK
A top-down improvisation, using Noro yarn and Jared Flood’s trick for creating stripes. I’d have liked it to be a little longer, but I ran out of yarn. It is incredibly simple – no shaping at all beyond the raglan sleeves, no finish around the neckline, a 2-2 rib around the bottom and the sleeve edges.
I used New Lanark’s natural black for the sleeve and bottom edgings. I really want to say that I liked this yarn, because I like the idea of it, a natural undyed yarn produced by artisans in small batches using traditional methods. But… it was like knitting with carpet – harsh, tangly, inflexible. I can easily imagine that constructing a whole garment in it would chafe the skin off your fingers.
21 August 2010
15 August 2010
I could easily get into making toys. They’re so cute! They’re so quick! They’re so easy! It’s like being a kid again.
:: Pattern :: Crazy kiwis from Bittersweet.
:: Materials :: Lincraft Celtic and Cleckheaton Country yarn, buttons for eyes.
:: Modifications :: I used DK yarn for the beak and kegs. I picked up stitches round the face for the beak, and decreased after a few rows. I also use some short rows to make the beak curve.
:: Pattern :: Softies.
:: Modifications :: Almost none – I filled the base with rice as suggested, to make the rabbit stand upright, and I added an internal rattle.
:: Materials :: All from the scrap bag – denim, unbleached calico, cotton poplin.
Tip: a really easy way to make a rattle to go in a toy – use the little plastic container that comes inside a Kinder Surprise egg, and put a bead in it.